May 18, 2023
ALLENTOWN, Pa. (May 18, 2023) – PPL Electric Utilities will be performing work in the Harrisburg and New Cumberland areas to rebuild a transmission line that crosses the Susquehanna River. This rebuild is part of a larger, 3.2-mile transmission line project that will improve reliability for the residents in the area, reduce outages, protect the grid from extreme weather and enable renewable energy interconnections to support the transition to a cleaner energy future.
This portion of the larger project requires the construction of a temporary stone causeway and floating road across a portion of the river while work is completed. This work is underway, and PPL Electric expects the reliability work to be completed in fall of 2023 with full restoration of the area continuing into the fall of 2024. Since 2012, continued investments in transmission, like this one, have assisted PPL Electric in reducing frequency of outages by 92 percent.
During the rebuild, the nearby boat launch will not be affected, but the western portion of the river will be blocked to boating traffic. The eastern portion of the river will be open throughout the project and PPL Electric has installed signs and buoys in the river to notify boaters and other recreational users of the river. As always, PPL Electric asks, for your safety and the safety of its crews, to please keep a safe distance from the work area and crews.
For more details about the project, including an overview and timeline, visit the virtual open house at pplelectric.com/harrisburgproject.
PPL Electric Utilities delivers safe, reliable and affordable electricity to more than 1.4 million homes and businesses in eastern and central Pennsylvania. It regularly ranks among the country’s best utility companies for reliability and customer satisfaction. PPL Electric Utilities is a major employer and an active supporter of the communities it serves. It is a part of the PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL) family of companies. Visit pplelectric.com or connect on social media via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for energy efficiency tips, bill help information, guidance on shopping for an electricity supplier, storm updates and more.
Note to Editors: Visit our media website at www.pplnewsroom.com for additional news and background about PPL Corporation.
- PPL Electric Utilities - Harrisburg Stone Causeway Construction B-Roll - Dump Trucks (24 Seconds)
- PPL Electric Utilities - Stone Causeway Construction B-Roll - Dump Truck and River (7 Seconds)
- PPL Electric Utilities - Stone Causeway Construction B-Roll - Payloader and River (9 Seconds)
- PPL Electric Utilities - Stone Causeway Construction Photo - Payloader and Causeway
- PPL Electric Utilities - Stone Causeway Construction Photo - Dump Truck and Causeway
- PPL Electric Utilities - Stone Causeway Construction Photo - Dump Truck and Causeway with Power Lines
- PPL Electric Utilities - Stone Causeway Construction Photo - Causeway and River with Power Lines